This week we discussed the historical views of the atonement from the early days of the church to the reformation. As in other doctrines we discussed, development of ideas concerning the atonement developed slowly over time. Though all Christians knew that the Cross was and is the central focus of our salvation, it was not always clear why the atonement was necessary and what Christ’s death on the cross actually did. This week we looked at six different views and next week we will look at the position most Christians hold today.
Right Click here to Download the lecture Audio for Class #4
Or play it with the control below:
– Class Discussion for Week 4
– Read: Systematic Theology, 692–707 (Chapters 33 & 34)
– Read: Paper “Were You Born Again Before You Believed?” by Michael Patton
For Further Study:
- What are the various theories on the atonement?
- The Ransom Theory of the Atonement
- The Atonement of Christ
- Substitutionary Atonement of Jesus Christ
Systematic Theology II – Week 3 – Atonement
What is the Atonement?
Substitutionary Atonement Seen From Paul
Why did Jesus die?