Now that we have defined what the church is, we need to ask what is the purpose of the church. That is what we will do in this class session. We defined that Church as the unified, continued presence of Christ composed of all people who have trusted in the Gospel of Christ. But the three branches of Christianity look at ecclesiastical history in a slightly different way. We will first take a look at that. Then we will look at 9 possible purposes of the church and discuss among ourselves which is these is most important. This will lead us to finding the main purpose of the church. Tonight’s class was taught by our special guest speaker, Tony Gipson.
Right Click here to Download the lecture Audio for Class #4
Or play it with the control below:
– Class Discussion for Week 4
– Read: Wayne Grudem, Systematic Theology, pp. 887-903 (Ch 46)
For Further Study:
- What is the purpose of the church?
- What was God’s purpose in establishing the church?
- What is the purpose of the Church?
- The Purpose of the “driven” Church
Whiteboard Whole Church Whole Gospel Whole World
What is the Real Purpose of the Church?
“What Do You Think About the State of Today’s Church?”
Greg Peters: The Nature and Purpose of the Church