Does God still speak today through prophets, dreams, visions, and direct encounters or did He cease in the first century? If He did cease, why? Are those who claim speak on behalf of God to be tested the same way they were in biblical times? In this session, we will cover this important and divisive issue. If God still speak directly to people today, then we need to use those to whom He speaks as a primary source for truth. During this session, the student will learn and evaluate the arguments made by cessationists (those who believe that God does not speak directly or through prophets today) and continuationists (those who believe that He does), understanding that how one answers this question will greatly influence their theological methodology.
• Roger Olsen, Mosaic of Christian Belief, pp. 29-48 (Ch. 1)
For Further Study:
- Introduction to Theology website (view Session #9 video)
- Does God still speak to us today?
- Does God still speak today through Prophets and Miraculous Signs?
- God Still Speaks
- The Morning I Heard the Voice of God
“How can I hear God’s voice?” (Ask Dr. Stanley)
John Piper – Does the Spirits leading have authority over Scripture?s
Mysteries: Gifts of The Holy Spirit
JOHN MACARTHUR Does God Still Give Revelation?