What are the essential beliefs that make a Christian a Christian? What are the core beliefs that someone must believe to be saved? Are there truths that are relative? If so, how do we know which ones? In this session the student will struggle with these difficult questions. The goal here is not that everyone comes to complete agreement, but that we begin to dialogue about such issues, understanding that failure to do so has produced legalism where people are judging others for not agreeing with them on each and every detail on non-essential issues. The student should also begin to recognize that their are different levels of certainty about all beliefs.
For Further Study:
- Introduction to Theology website (view Session #6 video)
- Essential doctrines of the Christian Faith
- Chart: Essential Doctrines of the Christian Faith
- The Essential Doctrines of the Christian Faith (Part One)
- The Essential Doctrines of the Christian Faith (Part Two)
Ask Hank: Essentials of the Christian Faith
Are All Doctrines Essential for Salvation? (Romans 10)
Essentials of the Christian Faith: What are they?